Ok, so here’s the deal on registering your nickname, the point of it being that you want to make sure that you’re the only one that can use that nickname on the server. Also, only people with registered nicknames can become chat room operators.
- When in a chat room, the first tab in the list is the server tab (Atrum, ZAIRC, etc). Click on it so the messages you type to the server won’t be displayed in the chat room by accident.
- Type: /msg nickserv register ****** youremail (replace ****** with password, youremail with your valid email address)
- An email will be sent to you with a confirmation code – follow those easy directions.
- IMPORTANT: EVERY time you log into that server with that nickname, you will HAVE to check the “I have a password” checkbox, and enter the password there before connecting.
- If you’ve already connected before entering the password, type: /msg nickserv identify ****** or you will be kicked/nickname will be changed. You usually have 60 seconds to do this.
- As an added security method, you can type: /msg nickserv set kill on, and anybody trying to use your nickname without entering the password mentioned in point 4 will have their nickname changed or will be kicked off the server.